Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Longest Whale Song by Jacqueline Wilson

Dear Mum,
Oh dear, I know you can't read this but I still need to write to you.There's so much I want yo tell you. I've been doing a special project about whales. Did you know that humpback whales can sing? Isn't it amazing to think of all those whales down there in the depth of the ocean, singing? Usually the songs are quite short - but on whale was recorded singing non - stop for TWENTY-TWO HOURS! I'd sing for even longer if it would only make you wake up. I'm going to play you some beautiful whale songs when I visit you in hospital. You'll listen, won't you?
Lots and lots and lots of love,
Ella xxxxxxxx


Summary from www.jacquelinewilson.co.uk

Ella’s mum’s in a deep coma having just had a new baby. That means Ella has to live with Jack, her hopeless stepfather and cope with her tiny newborn brother, as well as worrying about Mum.
The only thing that’s going right is her school project. It’s all about whales and how they sing out to each other to attract a mate – sometimes for hours. Maybe a whale song could reach Mum, wherever she is, and bring her back to Ella and baby Samson.
Surely it’s worth a try?

I'm just going to start by saying this: I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! It was so brilliant! In my opinion it was definitely Jacquelines best book ever. When I saw it I didn't think it would be very good - I thought the storyline sounded a bit strange, but I'm so happy I did! I really liked the whale parts. I learned quite a lot about them from this book, actually! 
My favourite character was probably..... Jack, Ella's step dad. I felt sorry for him, cope with his wife being in a coma, at the same time as taking care of Ella and Samson and working. I didn't like Ella's so-called best friend Sally, because she wasn't there for Ella when she needed her most, and then she went off with another girl in their class, Dory, and practically left Ella all alone. I felt especially sorry for her at those parts.
My rating of this book is definitely 5/5.. I love all of Jacqueline Wilsons books, but this is by far my favourite one. Great, great, great job Jacqueline!

Official Publication Date: 30th September 2010  
Publisher: Random House Children's Books

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading your review! This sounds amazing and I really want to read it some time... soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love children books and Jacqueline Wilson is one of my favorite. Nice review

    In Indonesia, they have published many books of her, but not this one. I am looking forward to read this

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is really good I would recommend people to read this book if I had to give this book a score out of 10 then I would give 10/10. One of Jacqueline Wilson's best books! LOVE THIS BOOK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my name is Amy and i have been reading this book for 4 weeks now and i have got up to the bit were Ella goes swimming and shes pretending to be a whale.I am really enjoying this book because it is one of the interesting books that i have read up to now and i think i would reccomend this book to people who have problems in their family like Ella, Jack and Samson from, "The Longest Whale Song!"

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)