Thursday, January 27, 2011

Eva's Journey by Judi Curtin


Rich, spoilt, high-maintenance Eva Gordon likes fancy, sophisticated things so when her parents sell their sell their holiday home and their expensive car Eva can't understand why. But when Eva's dad loses his job and she has to move house and change schools, she realises life has changed for good. She's determined to hate her new life, until a chance visit to a fortune teller gives her the idea that doing good may help her to get her old life back. Eva (with the help of her friend Victoria) starts to help all around her, whether they want it or not! This is the story of "Eva's Journey" from spoilt princess to pretty cool girl.

Judi Curtin is one of my FAVOURITE authors ever. I loved her Alice and Megan series, and was eager to read Eva's Journey. And it didn't disappoint! I think this is one of Judi's best book yet!
I haven't actually read a book about the recession before, even though I probably should have, because it's been going on for almost two years now. It was a great storyline and very relevant, because thousands of children in Ireland are going through the exact same thing as Eva and, or worse, and can really relate. I think this would really help them to see that you really can be happy without loads of money. Although, apparently this wasn't the moral of this story, it was 'you shouldn't kick stone walls when your wearing flip-flops'!
I thought Eva was a complete brat at the beginning, and she really irritated me with her 'I'm so much better than you' ways. And then she thought that by doing a few good deeds, she would be rich and 'happy' again. But (predictably), she did improve as the story went on.
My favourite character was Ruby, the shy unsociable girl that Eva was kind of friends with. I felt really sorry for her, having to manage a busy stall all on her own, and she was only twelve. There was a great plot twist involving h Ruby, that I so wasn't expecting!
Overall I thought the book was fantastic, 5/5. I finished it in under a day, it was so good! I know it was aimed at a slightly younger audience than me, but I still enjoyed it. Fabulous book, everyone should read it. It would be a great quick read, but it makes you think a little. Fabulous book, Judi and I hope you write more soon!
P.S.Hey guys, sorry for asking yet another question, but does anyone know how I can stop double spacing? This is the first time it's happened an it's really annoying. Oh, and thanks to Rachel for your comment in the last post. It helped!
Age Group: 9+
Publisher: O' Brien Press Ltd.
Official Publication Date: 20 September 2010
Author Website: www.judicurtin.com

3 comments:

  1. Great review! Glad I could help :D

    Rachel xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds wonderful - thank you for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your review style, really good review! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)