Saturday, January 29, 2011

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

" With his sunglasses gone there was no denying the fact that he had no face. All he had was a skull for a head."


Stephanie's uncle wrote horror fiction - at least that what she thought until he died and left her his estate. Ten she discovered that though his books may have been horror, they weren't exactly...fiction.


Plunged into a terrifying world of vampires and Hollow Men, Stephanie finds help from the remarkable Skulduggery Pleasant: wise-cracking detective, powerful magician, sworn enemy of evil. Oh yes. And dead.


It's been a while since I've discovered a good fantasy series. I've been bored reading the same Harry Potter and Darren Shan series over and over, and I was delighted to discover the fantastic, witty Skulduggery Pleasant.


The characters were the best quality of the book. Each was as funny as the next, especially Skulduggery and Stephanie. Skulduggery was just like Stephanie, and that's probably why they didn't get on so well! Stephanie was really sarcastic, and it did get a little annoying at times how negative she was, but I still liked her. It was Skulduggery though that really stole the show. Instead of being comforting when something bad was happening, he would tell it how it was, normally in the most amusing way possible. All the time!


The beginning and end were brilliant and gripping, but parts in the middle were really boring, and I actually stopped reading it for a while and began a different book. And when I started again, I skipped a bit of it, just to get it over with. But in the end it all payed off!


I would give this book....4/5. I was originally planning in giving it 3/5, while I was reading the middle part, but the it got better. I loved how the book was set in Ireland (the awesomest country! LOL!). I think you should definitely read it if you like fantasy, but you love funny books too. Skulduggery Pleasant is brilliant, and I have the next two books right now (yay!) and I can't wait to start them!


Age Group: 10+
Publisher: Harper Collins Publishers
Official Publication Date: 02 April 2007
Author Website:www.skulduggerypleasant.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Great review - it sounds like a really fun read! (And I didn't realise it was set in Ireland!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)