Friday, July 29, 2011

Pretty Little Liars:Flawless by Sara Shepard

In the exclusive town of Rosewood, Pennsylvania, where the sweetest smiles hide the darkest secrets, four pretty little liars - Spencer, Aria, Emily, and Hanna - have been very bad girls ...Spencer stole her sister's boyfriend; Aria is brokenhearted over her English teacher; Emily likes her new friend Maya ...as much more than a friend. And Hanna's obsession with looking flawless is literally making her sick. But the most horrible secret of all is something so scandalous it could destroy their perfect little lives. And someone named 'A' is threatening to do just that. At first they thought A was Alison, their friend who vanished three years ago ...but then Alison turned up dead. So who could A be? Only one thing's for certain: A's got the dirt to bury them all alive, and with every crumpled note and vindictive text message A sends, the girls get a little closer to losing it all.


The first book in this series, Pretty Little Liars, was TERRIFIC and it's one of my favourite books, so I was so excited when this arrived in the post! I wanted to start it right away. Unfortunately, I had a guest over and it would have been rude to just start reading! But a minute after she left I began it and read it in about two days. You really just an't to put this book down, it's so gripping and...creepy. (in a good way)


I liked pretty much all the characters (except 'A' of course!). The four girls, Emily, Spencer, Hanna and Aria were each great in their own way. I warmed to Aria a lot more in this one. I don't know what it was in the last book, I just didn't like her that much. But in Flawless I thought she was quirky, and cool! And she was a really nice person, and I felt so sorry for her, and the rest of the girls, when 'A' tormented and manipulated them. 


The other three...Spencer, I could relate to her. But I didn't like her as much as I did in the last book. I don't know why, she just didn't seem as...nice. Yes, I like my characters nice :)  And Hanna, I thought she was a bit of a spoilt brat. I still liked her though. She was insecure and 'A' reminded her of her past when she was fat and unhappy and for that I hated 'A' even more. Emily was lovely, I think she was my favourite along with Aria. She was so sweet and always trying to keep everybody happy. It isn't just the likability of the characters that matters that much though, it was how believable and realistic they are. Very, in this book! I really  believed that these girls and all the secondary cast were real, and I cared about what happened to them. I think that's a very important thing in a book, because if you don't believe in the characters, why should you believe in the story?


The story! Oh the story. One of the most original I've ever read. Seriously, four girls being sent messages anonymously regarding secrets they only told their dead best friend. Have you ever heard anything like it? It's a bit far-fetched, but it's genius! 


I said in my review of the last book that I found it annoying the way the books were told at an alternating third person POV, but I think I got used to it in Flawless, and so it didn't bother me as much. But what did bother me, was that the book kind of encouraged drugs and alcohol and I don't think that's the message that should be sent out to teenagers. That was probably the books only down-point.


Have you ever seen Pretty Little Liars, the TV show? If you haven't you definitely should. It's brilliant. But funnily enough, it's completely different from the book! There's tons of things in this book that haven't happened in the show, and loads of things in the show that didn't happen in the book! I suppose that's good, though, because you can watch and read and everything will still be a mystery! 


Overall, Flawless wasn't as QUITE good as it's predecessor, but it was still thoroughly enjoyable. I would highly recommend it. I can't wait to read more of this series, and find out, WHO IS A???


Source: Bought
Pages: 304
Age Group: 12+
Official Publication Date: 25th November 2010
Publisher: Atom
Author Website: www.prettylittleliars.com (there is no official author website)

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm just wondering what your favourite summer reads are? I badly need some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thanks! My favourite summer reads are The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard, Jessie Hearts NYC by Keris Stainton,Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen by Dyan Sheldon, The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. Sorry, that was too long! I hope it helped though :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE PLL! I have only seen the TV show though, because I thought that I wouldn't enjoy the books because I already know the ending. Thanks for telling me that they are completely different, I will read the books now!! Have you seen the TV show? It is amazing!! Sorry I rambled on a bit there... great review!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.

    I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post. Also, I've shared your website in
    my social networks!
    Also visit my blog post ... cheap mobile phones for sale

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)